Sriram Hathwar and Ansun Sujoe made history in 2014 by being declared co-champions of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. It was the first time since 1962—and the fourth time overall—that co-champions were declared.
Find it by drumming up bee spirit at your school. Here are a few tips :
- Host an all-school showing of Akeelah and the Bee.
- Offer after-school study groups. Start a spelling club and host fun mini-bees.
- Find a popular community personality to host your spelling bee—a local athlete, columnist or politician.
- Encourage everyone to dress in black and yellow on the day of your spelling bee.
- Create and promote a few supporting awards such as "Most Improved Speller."
- Host a Teacher Bee for the entire school to enjoy.
- Raise funds for your school and spelling bee with Great American SpellCheck. It's simple, safe and educational.
- Promote your spelling bee at other events such as high school basketball games or open houses.
- Invite students to design their own spelling bee logo. Put the winning entry on T-shirts to sell at your spelling bee.
- Ask a face painter to paint bees on students' and teachers' faces on the day of your spelling bee.