For any spelling bee:
- Register for a Word Club season pass. Giving a Word Club season pass as a gift? Click here to print a certificate to let your special speller know: You're in the Club!
- Read How to Study for a Spelling Bee by national finals pronouncer,
Dr. Jacques Bailly.
For a classroom, grade level or school-wide spelling bee:
- Step One: Learn the 100 study words for your grade level. Ask your teacher or school spelling bee coordinator for the study words. Your teacher obtains the study words by logging into a password-protected area of spellingbee.com available exclusively for teachers. It is there that your teacher prints out "Study Words for (Your Grade Level)."
- Step Two: Ask your teacher for the study words for all other grade levels. Study words are available for grades 1–8.
- Step Three: Get a head start on district, county, city, regional or state competition. Learn the words in Spell It! Also, expand your spelling skill set by playing the fun word games at Merriam-Webster's Word Central.
For a district, county, city, regional or state spelling bee:
- Step One: Ensure that you know the study words for grade levels 1–8.
- Step Two: Learn the words and do the activities in Spell It!
- Step Three: When you master the words in Spell It!, expand your spelling skill set by playing the fun word games at Merriam-Webster's Word Central.